- In a 1995 study published in the International Journal of Immunology reported “ a significant decline in the level of PSA in all prostate cancer patients; in addition, significant decline in CA 125 levels was observed for 2/3 ovarian cancer patients and one of two multiple myeloma patients had significant reduction in BJP level (the second had a slight decrease) who used AHCC”
- In various trials, 9 out of 11 patients had dramatic increase in the NK cell activity level as well as their T and B cell activity level (the immune system). In other words, the patient's reduction in tumor markers correlated with the increases in strength of their immune systems, validating the notion that a strong immune system is the key.
- AHCC has been used successfully to treat a wide range of health conditions, from minor ailments such as colds and flu, to other serious diseases including hepatitis, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
AHCC and CHEMOTHERAPY
If you are on chemotherapy AHCC would be imperative to add to your daily routine. As many know our immune system is suppressed by chemotherapy, radiation and surgery. This is why often tumors will spread even more aggressively we might add following these treatments. Consuming AHCC in conjunction with chemotherapy is therefore very important.
A study published in 1998 in the prestigious journal Anti-Cancer Drugs showing how AHCC worked in combination with a widely used form of oral chemotherapy is particularly important. This study demonstrated that AHCC enhanced the beneficial effects of the chemotherapy, while reducing detrimental side effects.
The Anti-Cancer Drugs study concluded, "Taken together, the combination of Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) plus chemotherapy, brought about good therapeutic effects, not only on primary tumor growth, but also on reducing metastasis and these effects were mediated by HOST immunity which was restored or activated by Active Hexose Correlated Compound."
No undesirable side effects were reported with the use of AHCC.
WHAT KIND OF MUSHROOM IS AHCC?
This is not your standard mushroom you find in the forest. Nor is it the same as the standard Shitake, Maitake and Reishi mushroom variety. The AHCC is made especially made in a laboratory in Sapporo, Japan. It is a type of HYBRID of Shiitake and other types of medicinal mushrooms with historically proven health benefits. The proprietary hybrid is cultivated under laboratory conditions in a liquid medium, rather than in the soil or wood growth medium that is natural to these fungi. This material is harvested and enzymatically modified through a fermentation process to break the large polysaccharides normally found in medicinal mushrooms.
The safety of this new compound has been well established, both by itself and in combination with other therapies. Patients have been followed for up to 8 years, and after discontinuing use, the immune system doesn't "crash" from exhaustion or hyper stimulation.
The dosages used in the previously mentioned clinical studies, as well as in earlier research, fall into two categories: the first is preventative and the second is therapeutic or as a treatment.
1. As a form of prevention, take one gram per day or one 500 mg pill in the morning and one at night. (total 1000mg). This dose will help increase your natural killer cell activity level and help build-up your immune system for general health and well being. There are actually several studies that show that patients who use AHCC will go on to develop fewer cancers.
2. For therapeutic use, take 3 grams (1500mg) per day (two pills in the morning, two in the afternoon and two at night) for three weeks and then one gram per day there after (one in the morning and one at night).
Taking a higher dose in the beginning, or for the first three weeks, NK cell activity will build up quicker or reach its peak at a faster RATE. Maintenance of that increased activity level will be achieved by taking one gram per day.
Preventive Effect of Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) on the Recurrence of Postoperative Hepatocellular Carcinoma Patients. XXXIIIrd Congress of the European Society for Surgical Research, 1998 p74 Y. Matsui, Y. Kawaguchi, M. Nakagawa, A Hon-Kwon, Y. Kamiyama, K. Kosuna.
Immunomodulatory and AntiCancer Effects of Active HemiCellulose Compound (AHCC), International Journal of Immunotherapy XI (1) 23-28 (1995) Ghoneum M., Wimbley M., Salem F., McKlain A., Attallah N., Gill G.
NK-Immunomodulation by Active Hemicellulose Compound in 17 Cancer Patients, Society of Natural Immunity, Taormina, Italy May 25-28, 1994 p56 Mamdooh Ghoneum, Ph.D.
Enhancement of Human NK Cell Activity In-Vivo by Active Hemicellulose Compound (AHCC)*, Abstract of 7th Annual Conference on Clinical Immunology, November 13-15, 1992 Ghoneum M., et al.
Combination therapy of active hexose correlated compound plus UFT significantly reduces the metastasis of rat mammary adenocarcinoma, Anti- Cancer Drugs 1998. Vol 9. pp. 343-350 Kazuhiro Matsushita, Yasuhiro Kuramitsu, Youichi Ohiro, Manabu Obara, Masanobu Kobayashi, Yong-Qing Li and Masuo Hosokawa
Protective Effects of AHCC on Carbon Tetrachloride Induced Liver Injury in Mice*, NATURAL MEDICINE, 51, 310-315, 1997 Sun B., Wakame K., Mukota T., Toyoshima A., Kanazawa T., Kosuna K
Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) Protects Against Cytosine Arabinoside Induced ALOPECIA in the Newborn Rat Animal Model, Japanese Journal of Cancer Research 89, p2405 Mukoda T., Sun B., Kosuna K.